Thursday, September 03, 2009

College Book Scam - ongoing

The internet is a great place to find just about anything. Even what you are NOT looking for. I happened across a page that talked about the College book scam that every text book publisher pulls and dramatically increases college costs. When you hear about tuitions going up and the rising costs of higher learning, think about the simple things... BOOKS. It was not so bad when I was going after my associates degree but when I was studying for my MBA I had a very hard time buying used books because they kept changing the revision and you HAD to buy the new one. I was working during the day, going to school at night, trying to support my wife and child on anything that was left after college costs and then these yahoos want me to buy all new books at $100 a pop???? I actually almost failed one course as I could not afford the book so I tried to get by on my notes. That would have worked IF the instructor had actually showed up once in awhile. Stupid law class instructor kept going to court during class periods - nice ethics study there... get paid for teaching and do not show up. I digress....
I am NOT a minority, I am NOT "poor", I am NOT going to get any help with my tuition or books. I had to pay for the whole shot out of my pocket and yet this seems fair to the college that I cannot buy used books to help take the edge off my costs. I really wonder what other places colleges are not helping to cut corners...

The very very sad part of my poor little tale is that I went to Northwood University and I know for a fact that Northwood does everything it can to keep expenses down unlike Government funded Universities that cost 4 times more (MSU, UofM, etc...). Northwood even uses a co-op health insurance program that it designed itself that saves the instructors on health care. Wish I could buy into it... :'(

Anyway, I wish I could do more but I did what every college student does,,, pay the fees and complain about it later... College students, complain NOW. It is your money, and technically the college is selling a service NOT doing you a favor. The government and the colleges have forgotten this but COLLEGE IS A BUSINESS and is SELLING education. That is the way it should be, they just need to be reminded of it.

Ed

No comments: